Sunday, January 3, 2010

The First Couple of Days

New Zealand is beautiful and reminds most of the Canadians of Canada. Since it's summer here, we're all basking in the warmth (having left a snowy Whistler just a few days ago!) and enjoying being in the sun.

The first couple of days have mostly been all about re-connecting with friends, most of whom I haven't seen since Innsbruck in '05. I took the door-to-door shuttle from the airport, but didn't have a "door" to go to because I my brother had said he would book me a room for the night of my arrival at the hostel he and my dad were staying at, but I didn't know the name of the hostel. So I asked the driver to drop me at the one Subud venue that was open; I figured that if my family was anywhere, they would be there. There were a few young people hanging out outside, but the building was locked from the front. In the time it took me to introduce myself, a group of Subud Vancouver people came walking down the street...a very nice welcome. My brother and father were inside doing latihan, so we were able to connect within a few minutes of my arrival.

When I walked into the Caledonian (one of the venues, in which Registration is happening) the next morning to register, I was immediately commandeered by Ludmilla, the Volunteer Coordinator, (who says "hello" to everyone!) to sit and help her sign in the multitudes of volunteers. I ended up spending about five hours helping out, so I got to meet lots of new people. It's been so fun to see so many old friends and meet so many new ones. Of course, it's all a little overwhelming, but in a good way that makes me excited for the weeks to come.

Tomorrow, the Congress officially begins with a kejiwaan day and the Opening Ceremony in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment